Sushi: Japanese Tradition?

Oh sheez, this video is soo wickedly funny. I just had to put it in my blog so I could easily access it and watch it again. *lol*

For me, listening to the voiceover is even funnier (I guess that only works if you do understand Japanese). There are some practices that I am already familiar with (like you shouldn’t pour your own drink; somebody should do that for you), but I think most of it is just satire. But then again, for someone who does not know Japanese culture, would it be just as funny? I wonder.Two phrases to watch out for: “Maa maa…” “Oh toh toh toh.” Enjoy. 😉

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Sushi: Japanese Tradition?

1. Hi Katherine!

Found your blog site via your 2005 entry “To Live Again” which is an interesting read for me. I also lost my father early this year who incidentally happens to be a Develos as well.

Im proud to know you! By the way, I also have a first cousin (Lito Develos) who had a degree in Physics from Silliman University. He is out of Physics, though, as he is currently the School Director of AMA-Baguio.

Be well and be blessed!

2. Leica says:

hi kathy, thanks for posting this.grabe aliw!good thing i dont really eat sushi.hahhaha! anyway,it reminds me of my sushi-ya neighbor. is it ok to post it in my multiply site? (yep, got to give up my phlog, i think)thanks -D

3. benja gwapo says:

Hi Maam Kathy!

Oo, I’ve also seen this video before. This is really a satire of Japanese culture made by Japanese themselves. Im sure alam na ninyo pero kung icheck ninyo sa youtube, marami pang videos as part of a series. Asteeg.

Wala lang at nangungulit lang.

Regards kay Mommy, Aya at Sir Baggy!

4. Gina says:

Amusing video :-) Parang art pala ang sushi eating . Ang daming dapat matutunan. 😉 I’m not one for sushi though, kaya i need not worry that I will make a no-no.

5. kaoko says:

Hwehwehwe. I ran into this dati and I remember laughing so much about it. I thought it was real at first until it got to parts that I sure as hell knew can’t be true.

WTF? Eating on geta? =)) Thanks for posting, it brought a smile to my face, seeing it again.

Maa…maa…maaaaaa…

6. rhodora says:

Nice one, Kathy! Entertaining and educating!

You’re back from Berlin! Trust you had a great time!

Hi Drixel – what a surprise to hear from a fellow Develos. :) I’m sorry to hear about your Dad. Actually my dad told me that we have distant relatives in Mindanao; who knows maybe we are related? After all, how often would you bump into someone with a surname like ours?

I hope I can get in touch you later through email. Thanks for dropping by! :)

Hi D! Hilarious di ba? Sure, go ahead and post it – it’s not mine anyway, hehe. Ako naman, I only eat sushi during our group parties. I used to be excited about kaitenzushis but sushi isn’t really my favorite Japanese food.

Hi there! May kilala akong “Benja” pero hindi siya “Benja gwapo” kundi “Benja genki.” I wonder if you are the same person?

Hehe…nah, I’m just messing with you. 😛 Musta na, Prexy?

Astig nga yung video – it’s nice to see Japanese poking fun at themselves once in a while.

Hey Gina, don’t take the video too seriously. It’s just for fun. :)

Yeah, me too! This link was just forwarded to me, and I didn’t really know what it was all about. I’m glad I checked it out.

I agree, the sushi on geta was a riot! 😀 But there may be some truth on the vinegar smell, though…hahaha. For some people I know, anyway.

May I ask – are you Japanese?

Tita Rhodes! Thanks, we did have a great time there. :)

13. Gypsy says:

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Grabe, ang sakit na ng panga ko…nagutom pa ako, especially the one on the wooden sandals as sushi plates! But seriously do you really eat sushi with your hands? Kasi di ba dito they give you chopsticks, tapos hindi naman solid yong rice so pag-ipit mo with the chopsticks, mahuhulog ang isang parte ng sushi sa kikkoman, kaya ayan me kikkoman design na blouse ko. Whats the right way nga ba? :)

14. dimaks says:

Medyo turn off lang sa akin yung mga daliri ng taisho 😀

15. Belle says:

kathy, hilarious video! i was laughing hard! those fingers of the taisho were yucky! hehehe.

16. verns says:

hahahahaha buti na lang at spoof eto kasi kung hindi sheesh ang hirap pala kasi daming dapat tandaan..kakawindang! hehe :)

17. snglguy says:

Which reminds me, I haven’t had my sushi fix in ages. Miss ko na and raw fish, hehehe. 😀

18. niceheart says:

Very amusing and funny. :) I don’t eat sushi, and now lalo tuloy akong na-turn off. :) Pagdating duon sa bayaran, para ding sa mga pinoy ano?

Gypsy, we always eat sushi with chopsticks. Actually I’ve never seen anyone eat sushi using hands. :) You’re right, it does take some maneuvering to just slightly dip the sushi into the sauce and then take it immediately all the way to the mouth in one piece. Dapat siguro may bib ka pag kumain ng sushi, lol.

Oo nga! It’s probably another one of those things you “should never ask about.” 😛

Belle, glad to hear you liked it. :) Sushi eater ka rin ba?

lol @ Verns
    Naku eh hindi lang sushi eating ang may mga so-called “rules” kaya dapat watch out din kami sa mga proper behavior at manners dito para naman di kami nakakaoffend.

Sushi fix? Whoa, that’s something I didn’t know about you. Akala ko mahilig ka lang sa Chinese food. :)

Oh yes, that’s something I see every time – paying for the bill, unless of course there was some prior arrangement. Yung mga company people we deal with, and who are naturally trying to make a good impression, they always volunteer to pay the bill.

25. smarie says:

Kathy, there’s a restaurant here called Bonsai that serves “authentic Japanese dishes”. But the cooks are fellow citizens of ours. LOL! They gave us a serving of sushi once, and it was heavenly! raw salmon or tuna is fine with me. wag lang yung may veggies, hehe.

it would be interesting to learn about the old ways, traditions and etiquette of the japanese. parang ang dami kse eh! almost in all aspects of their lives

Pinoys working in Japanese restaurant? Hehe, who would’ve expected that?

Salmon is also one of my favorites. Tsaka yung ala-eggroll. :)

Sometimes your best bet is to observe and follow what the crowds do. That’s the way I learn, anyway. :)

27. Angela Develos Kem-Ing Snyder says:

Ang pangalan ng lola ko ay Manuela Rival DEVELOS Chong na pinanganak sa Cebu at napangasawa ng Chinese businessman na Chong ang apelyido. Nanirahan sila sa Manila at namatay ang lolo namin nung panahon ng giyera ng Hapon sa Pilipinas. I’ve been searching for Develos families. Baka naman pwedeng makipag-e-mail. I have an old picture of my lola. I live here in Norfolk, Virginia U.S.A. with my children and American husband.