Acid Test

This is one of Aya’s most favorite experiments, maybe because it is really fun to mix liquids and watch them turn into different colors. Nowadays, when I ask her what an “acid” is, she immediately recalls the experiment and tells me, “It’s the one that makes the red cabbage juice turn red!” :) (Break muna sa mga seryosong usapan, I’m lagging behind with the experiments! This one was done many months ago actually.)

For this experiment, you’ll need the following:
1. red cabbage
Side note: Aya argued that the “red” cabbage is actually “purple.” Are we color blind or something? Kids. Sigh.
2. 2 jugs
3. sieve
4. glasses
5. hot water
6. test substances: vinegar, lemon juice, bicarbonate of soda, etc.

First, Aya tears up the red cabbage and puts it into one of the jugs.
Hot water is poured into the jug to cover the cabbage. Let it stand for about 30 minutes. (Aya: “Hahh…tagal naman!”)
Strain the cabbage juice into the other jug. Side note: I had to help Aya with this because the water was still too hot!
Next, pour the cabbage juice into the glasses.
Add a test substance to each of the glasses. Here, Aya tests the bicarbonate of soda. Vinegar has already been added to one of the glasses, which turned the cabbage juice into bright red.
Experiment is done! Dami kulay, Nanay! Aya triumphantly poses for the camera to show off her results. :)

Explanation: Red cabbage contains a pigment molecule called flavin (an anthocyanin) which changes colors depending on the pH of the substance added to it. This makes it a good pH indicator, turning red when acid is added (e.g., vinegar, lemon juice, etc.) or dark blue when alkalis are added (e.g., bicarbonate of soda, antacid, etc.).

Kids and parents, try this at home! :)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Acid Test

1. herb says:

uuuuyyy ang cool! mas fun kesa sa litmus strip! kaya lang sayang yung cabbage… pwede pang igisa pang ulam. hehehehe

2. dimaks says:

hehe, toxic ba yung liquid? baka pwedeng gawing juice drink? 😀

3. gina says:

Uyy, ang cute ng little scientist mo! Singer na ,scientist pa! =)

4. verns says:

awwww…aya’s so cute or did I say that already? hehe

I’m excited to have a daughter hehe

5. Belle says:

such a cute daughter! a future singer and scientist.

Like mom like daughter. I have no doubt she will become a science buff like you when she grows older :)

7. niceheart says:

Cool! You do experiments at home? The cabbage does look purple in the picture. :) But you know what, my youngest son also had difficulty differentiating colours when he was younger. Now that I look back, I think it was also with the reds and purple. He’s wearing glasses now. :(

yes, it’s really cool! as far as i can remember, di namin to ginawa nong elementary (bulok kasi hehe). 😀

pero ang totoo, naubusan din kami ng suka dahil dito, di tuloy ako makapag-adobo :(

blue juice, anyone? lol 😀

thanks gina! masaya na nga ako kahit don sa “cute,” dinagdagan mo pa ng singer at scientist…triple na saya ko. :)

Was it the part where you said, “like mommy, like baby”? 😛

Seriously, verns, having a daughter or son is life-changing! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it (pero maganda siguro hanap mura raw ng asawa, sabi ng asawa ko hehe).

Belle, thanks a lot! It’s just amazing when we reflect on the potentials of our children. It makes us feel so proud as parents!

Thanks bw. :) Sana nga, magdilang-anghel ka. I’m trying to give her a lot of exposure to science, but if in the end she turns out to be a musician, that’s also perfectly alright with me.

Yes, we do science experiments at home. We already performed quite a number of them (see Experiments category).

I noticed the glasses on your youngest son. Is he also myopic? I started wearing one when I was only 11 years old. My parents actually didn’t believe at first when I told them that I couldn’t see things clearly anymore. It took a while before they brought me to the optometrist!

15. rhodora says:

LOL! Kathy, your daughter is right – purple talaga ang red cabbage.

She’s so cute! Such a jolly child! Look at her smile on the last pic – feel na feel! :)

Thanks rhodora!
    Feel na feel, LOL! Pero palangiti talaga yang batang yan, she’s such a joy to us. :)

17. verns says:

ay! nakalimutan ko wala pala akong boyfriend/asawa hehe

18. Prab says:

Uy, I see a possible future Chemist/Chem Engineer! :)

19. niceheart says:

Hi Kathy,

Yes, he’s near-sighted. They have vision tests at school every two years and if they see something wrong with the child, they write a letter to the parents to see an optometrist. Kaya naagapan siya. My sister also started wearing glasses around 5-6 years old. Five of her seven children are also wearing glasses. So it could be hereditary din.

20. ruth says:

oh my. my 4 year old just started his own experiments and i was thinking it’s time to do such fun stuff too. i’m gonna borrow some of the experiments you have here, ha?

sagot ng asawa ko: well, di naman daw talaga requirement yun haha. :) but seriously, having a child changes everything, and i mean *everything* you thought you knew about your life and yourself. you’ll know what i mean when you get your own. :)

puede rin. :) or the combination that dimaks proposed (singing astronomer daw). 😛

Yes, you’re right, it could be hereditary. My sisters are also myopic, although their visions are not as worse as mine. It’s a good thing that your kids have vision tests at school. I could only wish that my daughter would not have eye troubles of any kind!

Sure, sure, go ahead! Know what, one of my friends was also encouraged by these posts to start experimenting at home with her own daughter. :) Nakakatuwa turuan ang mga bata ng mga concepts.

Thanks for dropping by, Ruth. :)

25. yeng says:

anong pwedeng i-substitute sa red cabbage?

Try using red onion, apple skins, blueberries, grape skins, and plums. :)